Problem with scanw() in ncurses

Hello everybody !

I downloaded Cygwin yesterday and was delighted to find ncurses included
! I started a test with a bigger program that I originally wrote for
Linux. It worked out fine - except for one thing. I could not read
integers from the keyboard with 'scanw()' ! I was rather surprised, so I
made a small test program that focuses on  function 'scanw()' in
ncurses. This is how it looks:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <curses.h>

int main(void)
{
  /* Declare your variables here ! */
  int a=0, b=0;

  initscr();
  clear();
 printw("\nEnter a number: ");
  scanw("%d", &a);
  printw("\n..and another one: ");
  scanw("%d", &b);

  printw("\n\nSum equals: %d", a+b);

  printw("\n\nPress any key...");

  getch();
  endwin();

  return 0;
}

When I run it - I always get 0 as a result. If I don't initialize the
variables 'a' and 'b' - I get a random number instead. I interpret this
as the fact that 'scanw()' fails in putting the numbers I enter from the
keyboard in 'a' and 'b' ! I've checked with gdb - with the same result !
I've looked through the mail archives without finding a message
concerning the same problem.

Platform: Win98SE on a DELL OptiplexGX1p

I'm rather eager to get ncurses working in Cygwin, since I think it
would be a great environment for educational purposes in C/C++ (together
with Emacs for Windows)!

Anybody got an idea !? Thanks in advance !

/Dan

--
Dan Levin                                    Tel 016 - 15 51 37
Institutionen för datateknik                 Fax 016 - 15 34 60