Re: GCC and PThreads on CYGWIN 1.1.8

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, John Phelps wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if the stock gcc 2.95.2-6 that comes with CYGWIN is
> compiled with -enable-threads=posix? If not, what is the standard
> approach for rebuilding gcc on CYGWIN? I've tried looking for the latest
> and could only dig up 2.95.2, and when I build in posix thread support I
> run into various problems with pthread_once and pthread_key_create. I
> can continue to hack on the gcc source, but I thought that perhaps
> someone may already have a build or some pointers.

Cygwin's pthreads is a partial implementation as of now, and it lacks the
interface that GCC requires with --enable-threads=posix.

If you have multi-threaded C++ code, you're sure to run into unpredictable
problems, and it gets worse if you use lots of exceptions.

> BTW, I'm doing this because our multi-threaded test programs die with
> various segfault problems. This is the same behavior that is exhibited
> when we run the same test code on our Unix systems without enabling
> Posix thread support within gcc.
>
> Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

The only direction I can think of helping to rewrite the Cygwin pthreads
implementation. If you're interested, get in touch with me and I'll get
you bits and pieces of stuff I had worked on way way back, but never
finished.

Regards,
Mumit