Re: Windows 95 install insists on MS-DOS mode

PROBLEM:

I installed cygwin with no trouble on my office computer (Windows 98) but on
my home computer (Windows 95) clicking on the cygwin icon leads to the
message "This program is set to run in MS-DOS mode and cannot run while
other programs are running."  If I then proceed, it tries to reboot, gives
some error message that scrolls away too fast to read, and reboots again to
Windows.  In any event, I don't want to kill my other Windows processes.

I have had similar problems on that computer trying to install a DOS version
of Mathematica which ran on other Windows 95 machines, so I suspect it is
something funny about the Windows configuration.  This is a  bad problem for
me, since one of my main motivations for using cygwin is to avoid having to
learn anything about Windows.

To install on my home computer, where I don't have a fast connection, I
burnt the installation files from my office computer to an OD, and ran setup
from that.  Setup ran to completion with no error messages on screen or in
the log files.

SOLUTION:

  All it took was unchecking the "MS-DOS" mode box in the shortcut
properties.  Why the installation program left that checked in the first
place, I don't know.  Not at all the same problem that I encountered with
Mathematica, a problem I have still not solved.

QUESTIONS:

Can someone tell me how to respond to a specific message from the archive
without formally subscribing and being bombarded with
messages?  Is there any way to search the archive for an exact phrase?
Single or double quotes won't work.  Is there any place I should be looking
for answers to this sort of question?