Building tk applications

Dear Cygwin Experts,

I have an application built using C++ and tcl/tk/incr tcl which
currently runs on Linux and Solaris and I'm starting to port it to
Windows using Cygwin.  I actually did something like this a few years
ago so I know it can be done, but I've forgotten lots and things have
changed in the meantime.

Currently I'm using SWIG to glue the C++ and the tcl together.  In
unix-land I'm getting SWIG to create a new main program, rather than
creating a library to load into the standard interpretter.  My reason
for doing it this way is that I worry about C++ static constructors
being called during dynamic linking.  Maybe I don't need to worry
about this, I don't know - but that is my starting point.

My first attempts at building using cygwin fail when compiling the
SWIG-generated code.  This file does a #include <tk.h>;
/usr/include/tk.h says #include <X11/Xlib.h>; all I have in
/usr/include/X11 is simx.h and xpm.h.

I can think of two things that could be going on here.  (1) Perhaps
there are two versions of tk in cygwin, one of which is more like the
unix version and needs an X server and the other uses native win32
graphics, and I'm picking up the header files (and libraries) for the
version that needs X.  I want the native version, how do I get it?  Or
(2) It should be finding an Xlib.h somewhere that provides some sort
of compatibility layer, which I don't have for some reason.  But these
are just random thoughts, I'm hoping that someone reading this knows
the real reason.

This is a fresh installation (1.1.8) and I installed everything.

Is there someone out there who's compiling tk applications for cygwin
who can help me out?

Many thanks,

--Phil.

note: the from: address IS valid