Re: "CPP" crashes my computer to hardware reset when trying to compile "test.c" -- pls help

At 10:33 PM 3/5/2001, Andrew Heil wrote:
>I'm a newbie to cygwin, so please forgive me if my description of the
>problem I'm having is incomplete.
>
>Short version:
>
>When I use the bash prompt or the DOS prompt to issue the command
>
>gcc test.c -o test.exe
>
>it crashes while running "cpp" on my AMD K6/266-based computer with 128
>MB of RAM.
>
>Long version:
>
>I was interested in using Palm's GCC-based tools to compile Palm
>programs.  They're based on Cygwin.  So I downloaded everything,
>installed everything (including Cygwin b20.1) following very explicit
>instructions (including "mount points"), and tried to compile a test
>program.  Lo and behold, my computer crashed after displaying "cpp" in
>the title bar of the DOS box.
>
>I figured the problem might be Cygwin-related, so I tried to compile a
>test program written in C (for DOS, not the Palm :-), and got the same
>exact crash.  (Note that if the source file had syntax errors, such as
>lacking the path to "stdio.h", these would be pointed out, and CPP would
>quit gracefully, *without* a crash.)
>
>So I uninstalled Cygwin b20.1 and went to the web site to get the latest
>version, using the Internet-based setup program, and after it was done,
>tried again.  The new version has a different directory structure and
>different "mount points", but produces the same crash.
>
>If you have any word on how to this problem, I'd be most grateful.
>Please be explicit; I don't yet understand a lot of what's going on
>behind the scenes.
>
>- Andrew Heil

You might try using strace and/or posting your program and the results of
cygcheck -s -r -v to the list.  You're issue seems installation specific
but someone may be able to spot where you're going wrong with more
information.