An easy (but possibly time-consuming) test case for Make hanging (was: Re: Make hung in WaitForMultipleObjects inside Cygwin)

I've found that if you put the Makefile shown below into an empty
directory on a dual-processor machine running Cygwin 1.1.8-2 and Make
3.79.1-2 and run "while true; do make -j2; done", you'll eventually
get a Make process hung as I described in my messages last week
(although it may take a couple of days).  You know things are hung
when output stops in the window in which you run the "while" loop.

I've reach the limit of my ability to debug this further.  Could
someone with more knowledge of Cygwin internals try to duplicate this,
using this test case?

  jik

                      *************************

SUBDIRS=recurse1 recurse2 recurse3 recurse4 recurse5 recurse6
LEVELS=6
MAKEFLAGS += --no-print-directory

all: $(SUBDIRS)

$(SUBDIRS):
	@set -e; \
	if [ $(MAKELEVEL) -lt $(LEVELS) ]; then \
	    mkdir -p $@; \
	    cp Makefile $@; \
	    $(MAKE) -C $@; \
	    rm -rf $@; \