Re: fpTeX and Cygwin

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 12:04:50AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I think that this will still be a "contrib" package and, as such, it
>>should still live in /usr/local.
>
>Whoah! None of my packages in contrib install into /usr/local.  The
>original motivation behind the "contrib" directory was not "stuff for
>/usr/local." We first created "contrib" and moved zlib and libpng into
>it from "latest" because.  Wait.  Why did we do that again?

Hmm.  I thought that this was always the understanding.  Corinna's ssh
stuff went in /usr/local until it was put into latest but...  hmm...  it
never existed in contrib or latest.  It was in an external site.

I guess I'd like some clear distinction on a user's disk for what is
"contributed" (and therfore optional) and what is not.  The user has
no easy way of knowing that something comes from a contrib directory
so the only vague hint he'll get will be directory structure.

However, I just checked and it appears that what I thought was an
implicit rule isn't being used by anything in "contrib".  That's
my fault for not being more clear.

Either that or for not having a more clear memory on what was decided...

So, forget I said anything.  History says that everything lives in
/usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc.

cgf