Re: fpTeX and Cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I think that this will still be a "contrib" package and, as such, it
> should still live in /usr/local.

Whoah!  None of my packages in contrib install into /usr/local.  The
original motivation behind the "contrib" directory was not "stuff for
/usr/local."  We first created "contrib" and moved zlib and libpng into
it from "latest"  because.  Wait.  Why did we do that again?

Michael Ring wrote:
> Charles Wilson wrote:
> >2) location of these 'extra' packages on Cygnus' sourceware ftp site.
> >
> >Not everybody wants to download rpm or perl or even libz as part of the
> >initial setup of cygwin1.1.1. Yet, it would be nice to consolidate many
> >of the Cygwin ports to sourceware, so that folks can find them easier.
> >

> YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES
>
> >Now, DJ & I've already stirred up the hornets' nest a bit by putting
> >zlib and libpng into the main 'latest' directory. By default, setup will
> >download that to all new users. To work around this problem, Chris
> >Faylor offered to create a 'cygutils' directory on sourceware for "my"
> >ports. However, I think that's too specific; perhaps 'extras' or
> >'add-ons' or something would be better. Wouldn't it be great if
> >Corinna's OpenSSL and OpenSSH ports were in there? So, let's call it the
> >'extras' directory for the purposes of this discussion.
>
> name it contrib, because it means: no support, use at your own risk,
> don't blame corinna, dj or cgf if it does not work.

But nobody ever mentioned "Hey BTW, stuff in contrib needs to install
into /usr/local"  So right now the only real difference between "latest"
and "contrib" is that the "contrib" stuff has been supplied and
maintained by "us" --- and "latest" stuff is maintained by you (cgf, dj,
corinna...)

or at least was initially provided by you (cgf, dj, corinna)

or has its heritage from the full.exe package on B20, and thus was
provided by you (cgf, dj, corinna)

except for zlib, libpng.  Until we corrected that.  But then we moved
ncurses from contrib to latest -- because a "latest" package (inetutils)
acquired a dependency on ncurses.  We didn't think it was a good idea
for a "core" package to depend on a non-core package, so ncurses was
promoted...

Okay, so the distinction between latest and contrib seems largely
meaningless.  BUT, still, nobody ever said that contrib stuff was
supposed to go into /usr/local.  So my stuff doesn't.  It goes into
/usr.

Sigh.

--Chuck