Re: fpTeX and Cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 05:30:57PM +0100, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > > That would be really nice. Did you look for the usual binmode/textmode
> > > problem? The most annoying case is textmode files on binmode mounts.
> >
> > I have not encountered such problem yet,
> > but I have not made systematic tests as well:
> > is there a special/easy way to make such tests ?
>
> If you have a binary mount point try to read input files with DOS
> line endings. But in general the package should read all binary
> input files (eg. font files) with O_BINARY and all text input files
> (configuration files and all other ascii files) with O_TEXT mode.

I have just try to `[pdf]latex' `sample2e.tex' with DOS line endings
within a binary mount point:
all looks good !

> An easy way would be to link with /lib/automode.o and look into
> the sources for `open' and `fopen' calls for binary files. These
> calls should be changed to use O_BINARY resp. "rb" mode if that's
> not already done.

I have just looked the sources: I have not yet care about this,
but it can be fixed very easly since the sources are well written.

> > > If you think the package is ok I would ask you for packaging so that
> > > the following configure options match:
> > >
> > > --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/sbin --localstatedir=/var
> >
> > Is there a special directory for `fonts' ?
>
> Uhm, not that I'm aware of. If prefix is /usr I assume it will
> create the fonts somewhere in /usr/share.

So we can use the default behaviour.

> > Futhermore the all TeX stuff is very very big: fonts, packages, ...
> > I guess that only the binary programs (and there corresponding sources)
> > has to be packaged:
> > the remaining needed files can be downloaded from CTAN sites.
>
> I think so. Except for some fonts etc. to start with.
>
> > It should be nice to have an available cygwin binary version of
> > ghostscript.
>
> Charles? Didn't you mention ghostscript today?
>
> > We would then only need a comment from Chris here (ssh access).

I guess that `Web2C/teTeX' can be packaged for Cygwin (very) quickly.

Jerome BENOIT