Re: fpTeX and Cygwin

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 05:30:57PM +0100, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > That would be really nice. Did you look for the usual binmode/textmode
> > problem? The most annoying case is textmode files on binmode mounts.
>
> I have not encountered such problem yet,
> but I have not made systematic tests as well:
> is there a special/easy way to make such tests ?

If you have a binary mount point try to read input files with DOS
line endings. But in general the package should read all binary
input files (eg. font files) with O_BINARY and all text input files
(configuration files and all other ascii files) with O_TEXT mode.

An easy way would be to link with /lib/automode.o and look into
the sources for `open' and `fopen' calls for binary files. These
calls should be changed to use O_BINARY resp. "rb" mode if that's
not already done.

> > If you think the package is ok I would ask you for packaging so that
> > the following configure options match:
> >
> > --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/sbin --localstatedir=/var
>
> Is there a special directory for `fonts' ?

Uhm, not that I'm aware of. If prefix is /usr I assume it will
create the fonts somewhere in /usr/share.

> Futhermore the all TeX stuff is very very big: fonts, packages, ...
> I guess that only the binary programs (and there corresponding sources)
> has to be packaged:
> the remaining needed files can be downloaded from CTAN sites.

I think so. Except for some fonts etc. to start with.

> It should be nice to have an available cygwin binary version of
> ghostscript.

Charles? Didn't you mention ghostscript today?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.