Re: cygwin with sockscap32

helu, without any disrespect: I am not skilled in win32 api's and
unfortunately I am not qualified enough to understand the mechanisms -
which was why I posted the original question, with the hope that
someone who recognized the call to the registry (where the application
hangs) might explain what was going on.

sockscap (like runsocks) takes a binary program, and at runtime uses
different socks-aware dlls after intercepting network calls. that is
the extent of my understanding. I also did not understand the legal
issues that came up. sockscap is distributed under a license, and I'm
was not aware if it was illegal to run cygwin under sockscap.

I do know that f-secure and certain other products that use some
security features (like license NTLM stuff) of windows do not run
under sockscap: I was especially pleased that earlier cygwin did not
complain.  From a naive "end user" point of view, I lose cool
functionality that I had.

BTW I am a big fan of cygwin. I was able to compile tetris for
terminals (written for serial terminals with curses in 1989) using the
current release, which reinforces my faith in C portability, and I
appreciate the work in cygnus in helping  providing the environment.

Thanks,
Regards
madhu