Re: sh.exe: Command not found

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 08:17:07PM -0800, Neil Bradley wrote:
>> >It is, actually. I change it to "gmake" so it doesn't conflict with
>> >another project that uses "make", and they need to coexist on the same
>> >system.
>> Well, you have both renamed it and moved it to a nonstandard location.
>
>Correct. Does renaming it actually harm things? I'd rather not have to
>require >30 developers to install the entire cygwin package - we're trying
>to keep it easily movable from one machine to another.

Ok.  But that puts a certain burden on you to support it, then.  It's
difficult to provide help for people who have renamed things and moved
them around to non-standard locations.

>> I wonder if that is your problem.  Usually sh.exe is expected to be in
>> the standard /bin location.  Does /bin/sh.exe exist?
>
>It doesn't. Is /bin something that should be created and stored on
>whatever drive it's in? It'd be nice if I could set some environment
>variable that would point it to the proper location.

Mumit has clarified things in this regard.  I'd forgotten that make would
look for sh.exe in the path.  I don't know why this isn't working for
you.  Possibly setting the SHELL environment variable or passing a SHELL=
command line argument will work, as Mumit suggested.

>But strangely, why would a invocation of a command that uses quotes cause
>a different behavior than that of a compile?

I believe that when make sees shell metacharacters, like quotes, it invokes
/bin/sh (or whatever) to invoke the command.  Otherwise it just uses
exec.

cgf