Re: question about configuring or calling info

Mumit Khan wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Charles Russell wrote:
>
> > 1)  info g77 just gives me the man page for g77.  I can't get into the .info files. (I'm using Windows 98, cygwin downloaded yesterday.)
>
> [ please use an email client that wraps line intelligently ]
>
> When given a name to look up, info first looks for a "Directory" file in
> /usr/info (that's the path built into Cygwin info, and changable via both
> command line arg and with environment variable), and if it doesn't find
> it, it starts looking for man pages. The info package itself should
> install a minimal version of /usr/info/dir and then subsequent packages
> should use install-info to add "itself" to it.
>
> You can always bypass the "dir" file and look something up directly:
>
>   $ info -f g77
>
> To fix this issue:
>
>   $ cd /usr/info
>   $ for i in *.info texinfo; do
>     install-info $i dir
>     done
>   [ ignore the various warnings ]
>   $ info g77
>
> This has been discussed in the past in the Cygwin mailing list, but I
> don't know what the resolution was on the fix.

This is the fix.  The problem with /usr/info/dir is that individual
packages create it before installing it and then copy it to the
$(prefix)/info directory so you loose it occasionally when the packager
forgets to remove it.

> > 2) Where should I look for answers to this kind of question?  I tried the FAQ.
>
> This is as good a place as any, but of course the assumption is that the
> topic is not in the FAQ nor discussed in the mailing list (archives are
> searchable, at least most of the time).

IIRC, this is in the FAQ as it is one.

Earnie.