RE: file descriptors opened as text files

Cygwin's behavior makes perfect sense if you consider all the hoops it has
to go through to maintain compatibility with *nix and POSIX. It attempts to
solve the problem of enabling *nix tools to work as cleanly and easily as
possible in a Windows environment where everything is terminated with CR/LF
line endings. The other possibility is to make binary mode the default and
answer every third question with "Did you strip the CR's from the file
first?" It does not solve every problem with line terminators, of course,
but they are significantly reduced. The O_BINARY and O_TEXT extensions may
or may not be POSIX compliant, but Cygwin is not the only platform that
offers these extensions. Your compatibility concerns are easily handled with
a simple #ifdef __CYGWIN__ around the appropriate code.