Re: A problem with "less"

> At 12:02 PM 1/19/2001, Ivan Dobrianov wrote:
> >I have been using cygwin B20 on WinNT/2000 for quite some time now and
> >quite happily.
> >
> >I have a small problem with less on "most" machines: the 'G' command (go
> >to end of file) doesn't work right. It clears the screen and prints the
> >first line at the bottom. 'g' (go to the top) works just fine as do most
> >other basic commands (e.g. '88g' goes to the 88th line, '90p' goes to
> >90% of the file etc). If I say "less --help", the 'G' works right
> >though! It also seems to work right on all files on at least one
> >machine.
> >
> >Any guesses as to what may be wrong?

from my own testing i believe this problem revolves around the handling of
line terminators.

files containing CR/LF exhibit the problem; those with LF only don't.

furthermore, if you mount directories with the "-b" option the problem
disappears (i have no idea what this might screw up in other areas though).

cheers
mark

--
                        ***  Festina lente  ***
Mark Robinson                                            1 James Place