problems with network drives

Before I installed the latest CygWin, the symptoms I experienced were the
following:
   tar would report "Permission denied" when trying to untar files directly into
   a subdirectory.  It'll work fine when untarring files into a subdirectory of
   a subdirectory.  The command used is "tar xfpv tarfile.tar".
   emacs will get "Permission denied" when trying to edit files within a
   subdirectory.

Now that I've installed the latest CygWin, the symptoms are:
   tar reports "No such host or network path" when trying to untar files
   directly into a subdirectory.  It'll work fine when untarring files into a
   subdirectory of a subdirectory.  The command used is "tar xffpv tarfile.tar".
   vi reports "Permission denied" when trying to edit files within a
   subdirectory (eg "vi .bash/.bash_set").  It works fine when opening a file
   within a subdirectory of a subdirectory (eg "vi
   lisp/cc-mode-5.25/ANNOUNCEMENT").

All the above occurs on Novell drives but works perfectly on local drives.  Has
anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks,
Noel

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.