Re: BUG?: erroreous intepretation of windows quoted paths

John Refling wrote:

> echo $PATH gives (line breaks by me):
>
> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/c/bin:/c/usr/bin:/c/usr/local/bin:\
> /c/WINNT/system32:/c/WINNT:/c/WINNT/system32/wbem:/c/sfu/telnet/:\
> /c/sfu/shell/:"c:/Program Files/Diskaccess/bin":\
> /c/Program Files/Support Tools/:/c/AW/Maya2.5/bin:/c/bin:/c/usr/bin:\
> /c/apps/jdk1.2.2/bin:/c/spi/bin:/c/Program Files/GNU/WinCvs:\
> /c/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/Bin

-8<-

> If I remove the quotes from the system environment variable
> in the control panel and reboot, all works:

-8<-

> Therefore, I think there is an incorrect interpretation (or conversion)
> of quoted windows paths.  For one thing, it appears to be using the colon
> in "c:b" as a path separator instead of grouping it all together according
> to the higher precidence quotes.

The definitive answer is don't use quotes in your Win32 path.  They're
not needed by Win32 and they break Cygwin.

> PS.  I looked in the FAQ, thru the mailing lists (search words +quote +path
> and +quoted +PATH, and didn't see anything).

That would be because in the five years I've been on this list, you're
the first person with the problem.  I would say the risk is pretty low
so spending time thinking about a fix for anyone is a waste.  The answer
is, don't quote the paths in the Win32 environment.

> PPS.  I wrote a version of the "which" command, in which I did some really
> minimal parsing of quoted windows paths, but it works correctly in the
> cases above.  I noticed this same problem in my program a while ago, (and
> fixed it by adding the minimal quote parsing).  Didn't think to check
> cygwin's operation.
>
> I can forward my "which" program to anyone who wants it.

Why did you reinvent the wheel?  Why not just use the which-2.12.tar.gz
file provided on any gnu mirror?

Earnie.