Re: (OT) Newbie request for Info

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 09:04:48PM +0100, Markus Mauhart wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>Michael Kelley wrote:
>> >
>> >I have a basic understanding of C and come from the Mainframe & Windows
>> >environments. I'm not ready to jump straight into Linux/Unix so I see a
>> >great chance to learn using Cygwin.
>>
>> If you're interested in learning about linux/unix, then your best bet is to
>> do a to do a google.com search. Since Cygwin is intended for people who
>> are already familiar with UNIX, there is no effort made on UNIX tutorials
>> for Cygwin.
>
>Christopher, clearly you and your friends know best your reasons
>to develop and use the cygwin environment, but why not learn about
>other unintended positive side effects of cygwin ?

Primarily because I have no interest in making this mailing list a "UNIX
tutorial" mailing list.  The newbie level here is already quite high and
I really don't want to lower the bar still further.

I'm also not interested in setting up some other forum for dealing with
this.  You're welcome to do this yourself, of course.

I understand that you want to use it that way and that you want people
to teach you.  I don't see any reason to duplicate the intent of other
forums for this purpose.

>Back to what caused me to write this email: I am surprised that you havnt
>realized (or dont mind) the fact that cygwin has a great potential to be
>the trojan horse of unix & gnu inside the windows world.

Of course, I realize that this is a possibility.  Whether I want to, or have
the resources to, support extreme beginners is the question.

>When cygwin additionally would come with easy to use and powerfull standard
>applications (mail reader, personal mail server & firewall, editor, filemanager;
>easy means controllable through consistent menu's shortcuts, help menue -> open doc
>in browser, ..), it would be only a small step to use the same applications
>under unix/linux and to forget the windows workstation.

Cygwin does come with a mailreader and an editor.  I'm not interested in
developing gee whiz pointy clicky applications for it, however.  There are
plenty of those kind of applications available for linux.  There is no need
to invent more.

I've tried to show you where you could get help which is already available
on the internet.  You can use it or not.

Frankly, it seems to me that if you spent as much time trying to learn how
to use what you've got as you've put into trying to justify why we should
all support complete novices, you would no longer be a complete novice and
the question would be moot.

I don't plan on contributing to this thread any further.  I think I have
made my point as clear as I can make it.

cgf