Re: DuplicateHandle() failing under MS Telnet Server

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 05:44:43AM -0700, Warren Young wrote:
> This is a "feature" of Microsoft stacks.  You can use DuplicateHandle()
> with Winsock 1.1 to do odd things that normally require the new
> WSADuplicateSocket() and other new Winsock 2/Win32 functionality.  For a
> fuller explanation, there's an article in my FAQ about this, called
> "Passing Sockets Between Processes".
>
> This feature could be used to implement dup() or maybe dup2() on Winsock
> 1.1 systems, but that's basically only Windows 95, so it's of fairly
> little value these days.  (Win98+ and NT 4+ have Winsock 2 installed by
> default.)

Incidentally, it has always pained me to remember that a socket != HANDLE in
Winsock. This underscores the fact that MS's Berkeley sockets implementation
is only a half-assed emulation layer on top of Winsock's WSAxxx function
family, and convenient stuff people are used to doing under UNIX like doing
write()s and read()s on sockets don't work.

*sigh*

> = Warren Young, maintainer of the Winsock Programmer's FAQ at:

  -- danp