ftpd 'F_SETOWN: invalid argument'. sshd works though.

I've pored over the inetd readme, the login readme, and all the mailing list logs with any mention of 'ftpd' and 'login'.

I have inetd installed and running via the Administrator account, with all the required permissions.  sshd works quite happily this way.  This is all under win2k I should mention.

ftpd says:

User username access denied.
Login failed.

immediately after I enter any login name at all.

I used mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd.
I did iu-config and ensured that /etc/passwd looks like:

Everyone:*:0:0:,S-1-1-0::
SYSTEM:*:18:18:,S-1-5-18::
Administrators:*:544:544:,S-1-5-32-544::
Administrator::500:513:,S-1-5-21-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-500::/usr/bin/bash
seth1::1000:513:Seth,S-1-5-21-XXX-YYY-ZZZ-1000:/home/seth1:/usr/bin/bash

shells has lines for every shell available, starting with /usr/bin/bash, which is why ssh happily works.

No, I checked and re-wrote my passwd file in vim using 'set ff=unix' to ensure no dos line brakes.  CYGWIN is 'ntsec tty'.

I'm going mad here!  Something that might help: This all started when I first installed ftpd and noticed that any user could login and get rwx on /.  So I opened the hard drive's permissions property page and removed the 'Everyone' group from having any access to the drive.  this killed inetd, because it reset all my permissions and ownerships.  Even now, if I try to run inetd as LocalSystem instead of as Administrator (with all the required privileges) no matter what user I chown /etc/* to, sshd can't read its files.  But I'm happy with sshd working using Administrator and /etc/* owned by administrator, that works...