Re: glibc cross-compilation: file names problems

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried to cross compile glibc from cygwin but I ran into some errors.
>
> i've trackeed the error done to a file name problem:
> Glibc uses *.oS and *.os temporary files during the build (for 's'hared
> and 'S'tatic objects)
>
> But with cygwin this files are the same, so things are not going well.

Cygwin uses Windows file systems provided with the Win32 subsystem, and
has to live within the limitation. Only the POSIX subsystem supports true
case insensitive file system, but Cygwin doesn't use the POSIX subsystem.

> I think the only solution is to change glibc makefiles, but is this a
> "classic" problem that people run into when trying to port programs to
> cygwin? Is there eventually a way to force Windows to accept two
> filename identical except for the case?

It's not a "classic" problem, it's simply an issue with a few packages,
and something that can be remedied easily if the respective maintainer
chooses to do so.

With that in mind, the issue becomes rather off-topic for Cygwin.

Regards,
Mumit