CVS update with ext not refetching?

Hello,

I'm using CVS 1.11 on cygwin 1.1.7 on a Win2000 system.  The respository is
on a Unix system and I access it with ext using SSH.

When I do a cvs update at the top level of my work area, CVS correctly
displays the files that need updating, and shows them as patches (as shown
with the letter P).  But the files are not updated.  I can do cvs update
multiple times with identical results.

However, when I go into a subdirectory and do cvs update, CVS still shows
the files to be updated as patches, but the displays the message "refetching
unpatchable files" and then again shows the files that need to be updated,
but this time preceded with a U and the files are now updated.

Two questions:
1) Why doesn't this happen at the top level?

2) Why doesn't patch work?

(This is on a binary mount.)

Thanks!

--
Elliot Mednick                              51 Sawyer Rd, Suite 110
Processor Architect                         Waltham, MA. 02453