Re: OT: Outlook filtering for Cygwin list (WAS: RE: Questions about C ygwin's setup...)

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 08:57:56PM -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Mike Enright wrote:
>
>> I don't think it can be done with one filter. I have 6. The mailbox@host
>> varies 3 ways. cygwin@sources.redhat.com, cygwin@cygwin.com,
>> cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com. Another variation is that some send their
>> messages to the previous poster, and CC the list. I have one rule that
>> catches 95% of the messages. But I have to apply the others to get the rest
>> of the messages. Plus, some messages seem to get caught by my redhat filter
>> first.
>>
>> This list is the only one that is so messed up. I was able to use Outlook
>> Express on every other list I was on.
>
>Any filter that can't filter on something as simple as "Sender" header
>is broken. All cygwin list messages have the following in the header:
>
>  Sender: cygwin-owner@sources.redhat.com
>
>Pretty trivial. Please consult the documentation of your mail client or
>filter. Of course, if someone were to send you a "courtesy" copy as well,
>then you'll get two copies, one filtered and one not since it came from
>the sender directly. There are various somart filters that will do the
>right thing with the right ruleset.
>
>I hope this doesn't start a whole new off-topic thread, and if it does,
>I apologize in advance.

Thanks for clarifying this (this is the monthly clarification, I guess).
I also hope that this does not result in a flurry of "I do it this way!"
messages.

FWIW, there are probably half a dozen or more items in the header that
could be used for filtering.

cgf