Re: Questions about Cygwin's setup...

On 24 Jan 2001, at 21:17, the Illustrious DJ Delorie wrote:

> > > *       Does Setup remove old files during update?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> OK, I'm going to qualify this.  It does remove installed files that are
> obsoleted by new versions of packages.  It does not remove the tarballs
> corresponding to old installations when new tarballs are downloaded.

	In other words, if you install from the internet, the tarballs are not
removed by setup.exe, and instead are left wherever you started
setup.exe from.

	(I always install from the internet, seems to work best -- if I choose
to eliminate the tarballs, a simple windows "deltree" from an msdos
prompt will take them all out for as long as they are all under the
same "parent" directory.)

	For example:

		Installing from internet after downloading "setup.exe" to directory
"<driveRef:\>temp\CygwinSetup" will yield all the latest tarballs and
_overwrite_ any _existing_ tarballs and add any locally non-existent
tarballs to "<driveRef:\>temp\CygwinSetup", depending on configuration
of "setup.exe".  When local installation is initialized by "setup.exe",
"setup.exe" assumes "<driveRef:\>temp\CygwinSetup" as _local_
installation directory.

	Peace,

		Paul G.

> --