RE: ^M diff related problem

Well, I'm more than a little embarrased, but I think the problem is
solved. I was, er..., stammer.., using a version of diff other than the
one shipped with cygwin. At Earnie's suggestion, I ran the cygcheck
command, looked at my path, something clicked, and I recalled the
alternate diff program that I had downloaded once upon a time. After
renaming this verion, and re-running all the ugly problems went away,
including the problem with vc-resolve-conflicts. Thanks to all who
offered help and sorry for my carelessness.

On a related note, I unset CYGWIN and tried the experiments again,
thinking that ^M's might be appended to diff output, but they weren't.
I guess I don't really understand the purpose of the CYGWIN=binary
setting.

I guess now it is a mystery what your problem is, Chris, unless you
were making the same mistake that I was.

Thanks