bug with mkdir

I think I may have found a bug in mkdir.

When I try

  mkdir -p <relpath>/dir

Everything works fine. However,

  mkdir -p <abspath>/dir

it does not matter if the -p is superfluous or not, the directory is
still not made.

So,

try:

  mkdir -p $HOME/test

and see if the directory exists, if not (your behaviour matches mine),
try

  mkdir $HOME/test

The behaviour I am seeing is that the latter works as expected and the
former fails.

  mkdir -p ./test1/test2/test3

works just fine, but not

  mkdir -p `pwd`/test1/test2/test3