Re: perl-5.6.1 DB_file support

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 12:33:46PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 12:25:20PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>> Cygwin isn't a UNIX application.
>>
>>Uh, I don't consider Cygwin an application, it is a runtime library used
>>to make applications run.
>
>Ok.  Let me rephrase then: "Cygwin isn't a UNIX runtime library used to
>make applications run."
>
>>My statement that if _WIN32 is defined, then I should expect that
>>standard Win32 definitions also be defined still stands.  MAX_PATH is
>>just an example of one of those definitions.
>
>MAX_PATH *is* defined.  It is in /cygnus/i686-pc-cygwin/include/w32api/windef.h.
>
>The code in /usr/include/sys/cygwin.h is only used when WINVER is
>defined.  WINVER is also defined in windef.h, although the real intent
>is that the sys/cygwin.h include file should be preceded by an '#include
><windows.h>' if you are attempting to use any of the stuff controlled by
>the '#ifdef WINVER' conditional.  Besides "MAX_PATH", there are also
>other Windows-specific constructs inside this conditional block like
>"HANDLE", and "DWORD".

(Sorry.  Stopped typing too soon.)

So, you can't use cygwin as an example of something that needs to have a
MAX_PATH in stdlib.h.

I do see that there is a definition in the standard Windows version of
stdlib.h from MSVC 6.  This is sort of a gray area, though.

I guess I wouldn't object to something like this being added to stdlib.h
if someone wants to send a patch to newlib@sources.redhat.com:

#ifdef __WIN32__
#ifndef _MAX_DIR
#define _MAX_DIR 256