Re: #includes not being processed across network (revised)

Earnie:

>No one else has your environment.  You will have to
> debug this yourself, but we'll try to help with suggestions.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer.

> Can other programs read the files?  E.G.: `cat /UNIX/foo.h' gives what
>  results?

Cat, less, vi, etc. all work as expected, even in parallel (simultaneous
multiple accesses) under bash, "raw" sh and/or DOS commands ("type", etc).

>  Could it be a timing issue, or a permissions issue?

Since I can access and modify files using both bash and "raw" sh, permissions
would seem to be OK.  Locking appears to work properly, also.  Refering to
cygcheck (previous email): the system understands me to be "root", a
super-user.

As far as "timing" goes, I've noticed on several occasions that there seems
to be some file-timing anomalies within Cygwin.  For example, in a script
(batch file) that has a number of steps, each ending in "> _log" in order to
trace execution, I often lose part of the trace -- it appears as if the next
step produces output into _log before the preceding step has flushed its
contents into _log and closed the file.

It seems reasonable that this anomaly -- if it really exists -- would be more
likely to occur when working across a network because of the inherent
hardware/software delay.  Remember that, in the #include problem I'm having,
the #included file is being found by the cpp, but it is not being processed
-- and there is no error message being generated.  This lack of message
("cannot access", "not found", "locked", etc.) would seem to suggest
something out of the ordinary.

> Are you using Cygwin
>  symlinks on your H: directory, that most likely won't work unless you
>  can emulate
>  the Win32 system file bit on your UNIX server.

No, until I get this straightened out I will differ from using any "soft
links", DOS shortcuts or other redirections that might complicate the issue.

Any tests you can suggest that might help me isolate the problem?

Thanks,
John