Re: Is there a criteria on what can be used as a key for .PAG files

Just to cover the simple stuff first:

It seems that you are not using gdbm in its native mode.  "dbm_open" etc
are the ndbm-compatibility routines.  nbdm compatibility is broken on
FAT drives (and on Win9x/Me because they can only use FAT).  See
/usr/doc/Cygwin/cvs-1.11.0.README for more information (yes, I really do
mean the cvs package documentation).

However, if you are on NTFS, then:

  make sure that you refer to database foo as "foo", not "foo.pag" or
"foo.dir".  The ndbm compatibility routine "dbm_open()" automatically
adds the appropriate ".pag" / ".dir" ending.

If these simple items do not explain / fix your failures, then you've
probably found a bug of some sort.  You'll have to use gdb and figure
out what's happening.

--Chuck