Installing Cygwin (was Re: why not use root as root?)

I've had beta versions of Cygwin installed.  When I installed
Cygwin 1.1.x, I found that I was very confused about where the
files really were.  Under Cygwin, pwd and ls use paths relative
to C:/cygwin on the boot disk.  Windows uses paths based on the
root.  I had multiple /bin directories which were searched by
Cygwin and Windows differently.  As others have mentioned,
programs not under Cygwin (and programs run under Cygwin betas)
install in C:/bin and C:/lib, so it was not clear where the
current versions were hiding.

My solution is to allocate a partition to Cygwin.  Install
Cygwin into this partition at the root.  Ignore the warning
message that the setup program generates.  The result is that
/ under Cygwin maps directly to G:\ (my Cygwin partition),
/bin and /lib map to G:\bin and G:\lib.  There is no need to
have different paths to programs under Windows and Cygwin,
only (occasionally) to make the partition letter explicit.

My confusion level is much lower.

--
Michael Eager	 Eager Consulting     eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077