Re: why not use root as root?

Right.  Perhaps as an attempt to clarify, the FAQ contains an entry on this
to discourage people who don't understand (or care) about the placement of
tools and the differences between Cygwin utilities and Win32/DOS versions
of the same name.  If an individual is cognizant of these issues and
careful to avoid conflicts, one may install Cygwin anywhere, including the
root of any drive.  Of course, if one decides to do this and later has some
troubles, its likely that any queries to this list will receive back the
suggestion of installing at the recommended location as a first step to
resolving the issue.  This is simply because there are far too many possible
configurations and too few that can (or want to) help track problems like
this.  Following this recommendation eliminates at least one variable and
will save the users in general possible problems.  This has the added bonus
of limiting many user queries to the list about why Cygwin utilities in
c:\bin suddenly don't work after one installs MKS into c:\bin!;-)