CGI apps crashing? (Was: Re: id.exe crashes when using ssh (since 1.1.6?))

Well, I have new data on this issue. A number of CGI apps I am using (that
generate JPEG images based on all kinds of data) stopped working after my
update (I am using Apache for Win32 on my development box)

Oddly enough, the CGI binaries work OK when run from a bash prompt, but
yield corrupted images when run under Apache. None of the binaries was
recompiled.

The penny finally dropped when I tried compiling conicplanet
(http://conic.sourceforge.net/) under cygwin to figure out some
image-processing code. conicplanet.cgi yields perfect results when run from
a bash prompt, and multicolored garbage under Apache - exactly the same
problem my unmodified binaries had...

So my guess is that we have something afoot inside cygwin1.dll...
Apparently, it has problems forking a subprocess under anything other than
the initial user context (hence the crashes on the remote id.exe when I ssh
to another box, and the misbehaving CGI binaries).

Anyone here experiencing the same problemas with either ssh or CGI
executables created with cygwin?

Rui Carmo
http://www.accao.net