gethostbyname & uname question, help!

I am a green hand in cygwin programming.
Would someone tell me how to get the network program compiled on cygwin?

I can't find which lib contains the function "uname" and
the function "gethostbyname" can't return the right value, either.

Which head file should I include, winsock.h or sys/socket.h?
What's the differenc between them?

Which libs should I use? Where are they?

I used to work on Linux.

Thanks very much.

&

Happy New Year to  EVERYONE!

crazyyao
RDCPS, Institue of Software, Beijing , China