Static version of Cygwin DLL?

Hi there,

I need to build an executable using Cygwin (gcc, ld etc.), but I need it not
to depend on cygwin1.dll. I tried to link directly with /usr/lib/libcygwin.a
:

gcc -static -o ../bin/test.exe ../obj/test.o  -L/usr/lib -lcygwin

but the resulting executable still requires the presence of cygwin1.dll on
the path. I've searched the archives, but did not find anything closer than
this:

http://www.delorie.com/archives/browse.cgi?p=cygwin/1998/02/13/01:17:34

it's too old, I thought maybe there could be something more up-to-date (I
tried Mumit's site as well, but it deals mainly with the problem of building
DLLs with Cygwin).

Any hints or directions to other documentation about this would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA.

Andre
--