volunteers gratefully accepted

From time to time I do a google search for "cygwin" to see what kind of
links are out there referring to the project.

I'm always somewhat shocked by the number of pages which reference
cygwin.  I'm almost equally shocked to see that some of the pages are
actually maintained by frequent posters here.

Given the number of times that we've asked for volunteers, I wonder if
we've made it clear that we'll accept volunteers for any part of the
project.

For instance, if you are a whiz in web design, we'll gladly accept input
on the web pages.

If you are a world class author, we'd love to put you to work on the
documentation.

If you think that you can explain things better than the FAQ or that
there deserves to be more focused explanations given on some topics, we
can easily give you access to our web pages to collaborate with the
current FAQ, documentation, and web people.

I guess what I'm saying is that I certainly understand the desire to put
your name up in lights on your own web page.  And, it is gratifying for
me to see links to cygwin all over the place.  But, I'd like people to
consider possibly also donating their time and skill to the project
itself.

It won't be as glamorous.  It won't be as easy.  You won't be able to
say *anything* that you want or make any changes that you want.  I, and
other people, will probably have opinions on what you do and will
occasionally veto stuff or suggest changes.

But, if you do contribute, your work will benefit a lot of people;
arguably more than will benefit from your personal web page.  And, I
pledge that I'll add your name to the "Who are we" part of the Cygwin
web page.

If the idea of contributing directly to the cygwin project still doesn't
thrill you, then at least consider adding your web page to the "post new
news" section of http://cygwin.com/ so that we can start adding links to
helpful sites.

Anyway, don't get me wrong.  I appreciate any work that anyone does
towards helping this project.  However, I hope that people will consider
the somewhat thankless task of working directly towards improving the
project itself by working on some of the parts of its infrastructure whether
that is the web page, the source code, or the documentation.

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager