Re: Suggestion for submitted port package naming standard...

On 19 Dec 2000, at 21:56, Michael Hirmke wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> >How about this (for both distro and ftp.franken.de):
> ><package name and version>.CYGWIN[version??]-PATCHED.src.tar.gz
> ><package name and version>.CYGWIN-BINARY-INSTALL.tar.gz
> ><package name and version>.CYGWIN.patch
> ><package name and version>.CYGWIN.README
> >
> >Either the README would have a link to the vanilla source tarball or a
> >separate text file:
> ><package name and version>.CYGWIN.VANILLA-SOURCE-URL.txt
> >
> >This way, no ambiguities.
> >
> >Comments?
>
> Sorry, but it is surely not me to decide this.

Who IS the one to decide?

> Besides that - the actual naming scheme has proved useful for years now,
> why should we change it?

As far as I can see, there IS no defined naming scheme; not for
your ftp site and not for the distribution.  And, as to why we should
change it... especially the naming of the source file, because the
naming of the source file is ambiguous to the extreme... that is, what
I see now is:
<package name/version>.src.tar.gz
... which is this?  The Cygwin patched or the vanilla source???  And
if you say <package name/version>.cygwin.tar.gz, what exactly is
that?? It is probably the binary, but how do you know for sure unless
you inspect the tar file. File names should be helpful and
descriptive... THAT is why we should change it.