Re: Grep

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 07:50:50AM +0100, Simon Westhues wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >why in there an old version 2.2 of grep included in cygwin?
> >
> >The latest GNU grep 2.4.2 compiled without problems in my cygwin.
>
> We like to annoy people by including older versions of tools.  It causes
> the core developers no end of hilarity watching the poor hapless end
> users scratching their heads and wondering where the beloved features
> that they have come to rely on under linux have gone.

Perhaps some explanation is in order:  the 'core' team is focused on
cygwin.  cygwin, cygwin, cygwin.  'Core' issues.  However, when
cygwin-1.1 was first released, they helpfully provided some basic tools
as well -- most of the stuff in /latest/.   But they do not really have
time to maintain and update those tools.  If you see a need for a newer
version of some tool in the /latest/ directory (like grep), then please
-- provide it.

We *need* package maintainers.

There was a discussion recently on the cygwin-apps list, where Carlos
Puig was beginning to port/update Texinfo-4.0, and wanted advice.  Read
this whole thread:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2000-11/msg00042.html

--Chuck