Re: [Fwd: Re: Web2C: CYGWIN is not DOSISH]

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 02:30:34PM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Jerome Benoit <JGMBenoit@Wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>>
>> I have tried it: for Web2C CYGWIN is not DOSISH (it does not work if one
>> assume this)
>>

>It is known that Cygwin == UNIX.
>
>> But it seems that `ls C:\\WINDOWS' works !
>> So accordingly `ls' is DOSIH
>> hence the trouble.
>
>A benefit of the underlying OS.  You will also find that `ls c:/windows' also
>works as well as `ls /cygdrive/c/windows' and if you have c:/ mounted to point
>/c then `ls /c/windows' will also work.

Just in case this isn't obvious, Cygwin operates correctly with
DOS-style path names.  This isn't an accident.  We do allow native path
specifications.

The term "DOSISH" is not some universally understood and recognized term
that is applied to things like "ls".  The term is used in Perl and,
apparently, in Web2C to indicate that the underlying OS looks like DOS.

Whether it is appropriate to define "DOSISH" in a package is entirely up
to the package.  It has nothing to do with Cygwin per se.

Again, DOSISH is not a term that people "in the know" bandy amongst
themselves.  We don't all look at each other and shake our heads
knowingly saying "Ah yes, Cygwin is...  DOSISH!"

DOSISH is just a definition with a specific meaning for a specific
package.

cgf