Re: "Master" site for source/CVS

"David A. Cobb" wrote:

> [Replying to LIST only:]
>
> OK, Chuck, how about the items in CygUtils?  Is your copy the "Cygwin
> Baseline?" or does that live elsewhere?

All of the cygutils packages are "first generation forks".  That is, I
get the official source from the official distribution and create a
single patch for it that allows it to build easily on cygwin.  On
CygUtils, I distribute: the official source, my special patch, and the
compiled binaries as separate downloads.

The stuff that I've contributed to sourceware, however, is a bit
different -- but is also "first generation fork".  We distribute a
source tarball and the compiled binaries as separate downloads.  The
source tarball contains the official source from the official
distribution, as patched to build easily on cygwin -- and it also
contains the patch itself (although that patch has already been
applied).  Thus, you can use 'patch -R' to recover "pristine" source.

In both cases, the readme or webpage says where the "official"
distribution site is.  In both cases, I try to keep up with the latest
"official" release and keep the cygutils | sourceware version
up-to-date.

> Here's an example: XFree86/Cygwin was recently merged into the main XFree
> tree.
> Now its master is there and I know where to look if I need to investigate
> something.

for "my" contrib packages, look in /usr/doc/Cygwin/<package>.README.
They all list the homepage and download location for the original
source.

> I'm particularly interested in CVS because my disk is filling up and I can
ill
> afford to
> park every interesting source on it just in case.  Much easier would be
simply
> point at it somewhere else [and let somebody else worry about storing and
> maintaining it.]

You still have to download the source from the repository to your local
working directory, even when using CVS.

> If there's any way I could help pull such a list together, I'm available.
> But, as you see,
> I don't yet know where to look.  Some have said that's the least of my
> problems ;-)

Perhaps setting up a website with that list once you've created it, and
getting cygwin.com to add a pointer to it?

> ** O,BTW ** May we know the criteria why some of CygUtils can be in "contrib"
> but
> not all?  At least, it looks as though that's the case.

All of the stuff (except one) that I've ported from "cygutils" packaging
to "official" packaging live in contrib.  The only exception is bzip2,
because that was part of the main "latest" cygwin distribution prior to
my involvement.  Chris asked if anyone had an update for bzip2, and I
did, so I contributed it.  However, we've run into problems when moving
a package from "latest" to "contrib" -- so, I just left it in "latest".

--Chuck