Re: Newbie mount issue

At 11:05 AM 12/1/2000, schwarza@gdls.com wrote:

>My directory structure is:
>
>     C:\usr\GNAT         <== trying to mount
>
>     //c/usr/cygwin   /  <== root
>
>That is the cygwin root was installed at it's default location
>which in my configuration is at: C:\usr\cygwin.
>
>My mount command always fails:
>
>     mount -b C:\usr\GNAT /usr/GNAT
>
>     mount: /usr/GNAT: Invalid argument
>
>with the following tests:
>     [1] /usr        (no GNAT directory in /usr)
>     [2] /usr/GNAT   (empty directory in /usr)
>
>and I don't have the foggiest idea why.
>
>Any help?
>
>art

First, because you use single \'s in your example of the mount command you're
issuing, I'm going to assume that you're invoking mount from outside sh/bash.
Further, I'm going to assume that you have paths and such set up so that this
would indeed work.  I assume all this because if you were to use this command
as you've typed it here in sh/bash, it wouldn't work without escaping the
\'s.  OK, now that this is out of the way, on to your problem!

You're missing the "obvious" but unfortunately, that requires a little
thought to make it so!:-)  You state that c:/usr/cygwin is mounted as /.
Further, you state that c:/usr/GNAT exists and is the point you want to
mount to.  Then you issue "mount -b C:\usr\GNAT /usr/GNAT" (see the problem
yet?;-)) This won't work because / is c:/usr/cygwin and there is no
/usr/cygwin/usr/GNAT directory.  Either move your "/" mount to c: or,
preferably, make a /usr/GNAT directory in c:/usr/cygwin.

Did that clear the fog?