Re: binary mode from non-Cygwin shells?

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 08:47:24AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Malcolm Boekhoff <Malcolm.Boekhoff@actfs.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Nevertheless:

>> eliminated.
>> instead of
>> >
>> > Nope.  If I leave CYGWIN unset, and run the Cygwin echo.exe explicitly:
>> >
>> > d:\users\antony>c:\cygwin\bin\echo.exe hello |od -c
>> > 0000000000     h   e   l   l   o  \r  \n
>> > 0000000007
>> >

>> Is this because the pipe is being created by command.com and not bash?
>>

>The documentation is correct.  The [no]binmode was created by Chris
>specifically for executing Cygwin programs in the command.com/cmd.exe shell.
>The default should be binmode.  But, I may be the one confused.

We changed the default some time ago at the request of an, er, customer
who was distressed at seeing files with \n's and no \r\n's.

Pipes have nothing to do with this.  The standard output of a program
is controlled by the CYGWIN=[no]binmode setting when the program is
run outside of a cygwin environment.

Undoubtedly the documentation has not been updated to reflect this.

cgf