Re: binary mode from non-Cygwin shells?

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> > Nope.  If I leave CYGWIN unset, and run the Cygwin echo.exe explicitly:
> >
> > d:\users\antony>c:\cygwin\bin\echo.exe hello |od -c
> > 0000000000     h   e   l   l   o  \r  \n
> > 0000000007
> >

> Ok, what happens if you `set CYGWIN=binmode' before you execute this?  Yea, I
> could test it but I don't have access to *your* environment.

As I think I mentioned in my original message, doing an explicit
'set CYGWIN=binmode' gives the expected behavior -- that is, there
will be no '\r' in the output.  (But, according to the User's Guide,
this should not be necessary since "pipes and redirection always
use binary mode in non-Cygwin shells".)

	-antony

--
Antony Courtney
Grad. Student, Dept. of Computer Science, Yale University