RE: Newbie: read works incorrectly [drifting OT]

Perhaps that's a bash bug that needs reporting to the maintainer of bash.
I'm not sure whether the built-in help is meant to be comprehensive.

> I like you signature.
Thanks, I stole it from someone else ;-) But it kinda summarizes my
philosophy
on life.

> I never knew of the "printf" built-in before
> this topic thread showed up! Perhaps that's because it post-dates the
> printed BASH manual I usually rely on. Do you or does anyone know
> with which version of BASH the "printf" built-in first appeared?

I only vaguely recall it's existence, I'd never used it.

One further example that I think illustrates how it works and which maybe
what the
original poster intended.

echo "one two three
four five" | while read line ; do
 printf '%s\r\n' "$line"
done

results in
one two three
four five

That is, each line of input to the while loop is printed separately
regardless
of the number of separate words.

Hope this helps,
Mike