clock() and sleep(int) system calls

Hello there.  I'm trying to build a socket-based program on WinNT 4, and
I'd like to be able to combine clock() and sleep() in the program, but from
my preliminary experiments, it appears that the sleep() function
reinitializes the variable that clock() keeps track of -- so much for
measuring elapsed time.  Is this documented somewhere?  Is there some good
explanation for why it works this way?  Is there a way around it?

While I'm at it, for those who know socket programming, is there a way to
"kill" a call to the accept(...) function, which normally blocks until a
connection comes in?  I'd like to declare a maximum time for my server to
run (say 5 minutes), and then have it exit normally.

Thanks for your help.
- Joe Clark, Iowa State University