RE: debugging rshd

> From: Corinna Vinschen
>
> Mike Ayers wrote:
> >     I'm having trouble with rshd and I'd like to debug the problem.
> > Before I go delving into inetd.c, could someone perhaps
> tell me how to
> > start in.rshd under gdb?  I tried setting up inetd.conf as:
> >
> > shell   stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/bin/gdb
> > /usr/local/libexec/in.rshd -L
>
> You will have no luck that way. rshd expects the already opened
socket
> connection on stdin/stdout/stderr. This is what inetd does for it's
> child processes. rshd isn't intended as a stand-alone daemon.

    So should I build and install all of inetutils with -g?  Then how
would I proceed?  Can gdb debug a service?

> On the other hand: What problems do you encounter? Are you using
> the latest version (1.3.2-8)? It contains a fix for rshd which avoids
> a possible crash on startup.

    I am using 1.3.2-8, but have had the same problem with 1.3.2-7 and
whatever is current (nonexperimental), if that is different.  Whenever
I try to rcp using the cygwin machine as server, I get:

rcp:  lost connection

    ....but no hint of an error from the server (i.e. the application
log shows only that the rcp started).  I can get no other information,
which is why I want to do this in debug mode.

> >     ...specifically, "<server_path> <args>" appears to get
> > "/usr/sbin/in.rshd in.rshd -L", which seems more like
"<server_path>
> > <server_name> <args>" to me.
>
> That's the same. `args' begins counting with 0.

    In other words, list everything that will be in argv[], as opposed
to just additional flags.  It might be good to put that in the comments
in inetd.conf, since it is an easy mistake to make.

/|/|ike