Re: patch text mode problem with latest CVS source

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 03:44:56PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 03:20:46PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 03:17:09PM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
>> >Using the cygwin1.dll that I built from the latest CVS source (as of
>> >about 11 AM EST today) causes patch to convert all files actually
>> >patched to text mode.  Note that I checked and my cygdrive mount is
>> >binary so this is not the problem.  Has anyone else observed this with
>> >CVS or 1.1.5-3?
>>
>> A better question is if this behavior differs from cygwin 1.1.4.
>
>Yes, in my experience the behavior differs.  In 1.1.4, patched files do
>not get converted into text mode, in 1.1.5 they do.  If I toggle between
>the DLLs and apply the same patch to the same file (or a copy of the
>original), the file remains binary in 1.1.4 and converts to text in
>"1.1.5".

In my experience, patch does exactly the same thing under 1.1.4 and
1.1.5.

It seems to be controlled by the value of your "TMP" (or possibly
"TEMP") environment variable.  If that is set to a directory that is
mounted as text, then the resulting file has \r\n line endings.

If you can give me a simple test case which illustrates the problem
I will investigate it.  Please include the cygcheck -r -s -v output
for both the failing and succeeding cases.

cgf