RE: AW: AW: Starting Programms in the background

This may sound like a stupid question, but have you tried simply
"winword <filename>"?  I believe that Word uses CreateProcess to spawn
its own master process (WinMain()), so you shouldn't need to background
it.  In fact, it may be the process launcher (main()) that you're
hanging in the background.  If you try "winword <filename>" from
cmd.exe, then you can exit cmd.exe while Word is still running, so it
may work from bash, too.

I just tried this with notepad and wordpad, and both detach from
cmd.exe but not from bash, so this may not work, but it's still worth a
try...

;-)

/|/|ike