Re: AW: Starting Programms in the background

Bjoern Kahl AG Resy wrote:

> > You're right, it happens on NT as well when starting
> > background processes from the console window. This does not happen when
> > starting background processes from a remote session via telnet/ssh.
> > Unfortunately you can't start GUI processes from a remote session.
>
>  Hi!
>
>  Just tried it too:
>
>  bash exits cleanly, but the console-window stays open.
>  (Tried
>   bash> knews &
>   <Ctrl-D>
>
>   -> "ps" doesnt show the bash any longer,
>      "knews" PPID get set to "1")
>
>  Question:
>  How to disconnect from controlling terminal under cygwin?
>  There seems no ioctl defined to do that. (looked for some weeks ago).

	setsid(2)

>  Maybe the console-window goes away, if a small wrapper is used, that
>  disconnects from controlling tty and closes all io-channels to the
>  terminal (stdin,stdout,stderr), then exec()s the real app.

That doesn't help in the console window, only in remote sessions.
The daemons already do that and nohup(1) - which is that wrapper -
doesn't help either in the console window.

I'm somewhat surprised. I'm using remote sessions all the time and
I'm starting my daemons as services so I didn't realize that problem
in NT before.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.