Re: FAQ about make

--- "Schaible, Joerg" <Joerg.Schaible@gft.de> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> just one little addition from my point of view:
>
> > 	The default mode for the Net Release of make (the one
> > 	installed by setup.exe) is UNIX. The default mode for
> > 	commercial releases to Redhat (formerly Cygnus) customers is
> > 	WIN32.
>
>  	The default mode for the Net Release of make (the one
>  	installed by setup.exe set in /etc/profile) is UNIX. The default
> mode for
>  	commercial releases to Redhat (formerly Cygnus) customers is
>  	WIN32 set in cygwin.bat.
>

> With this extension it is even clear for Unix newbies where the different
> environment settings are made.

The "default mode" is that which is established without being specific.   The
MAKE_MODE variable is a means by which you can be specific.  The cygwin.bat
file upon a clean room setup does not contain an entry for setting the
MAKE_MODE variable.  The setup.exe program for the net release does set
MAKE_MODE in /etc/profile but doesn't need to as the "default mode" is "UNIX"
and not "WIN32".  The "default mode" for the commercial customer is "WIN32" and
not "UNIX".

HTH,

=====
Earnie Boyd