Re: Bug report: with CVS

"Charles S. Wilson" wrote:
> Mark Swanson wrote:
> > > cvs update -d
> > DuplicateHandle failed Win32 error 6 268015 [main] cvs 835187
> > fhandler_base::fork_fixup: /dev/tcp - Win32 error 6, handle io_handle<0x2784>
>
> Corinna, does this error message indicate that a program is tripping
> over the WinSock problems you addressed Thursday?  If so, then would you
> expect to still see this error message using the new cygwin1.dll -- from
> calling the "bad" functions before switching over to the WinSock2
> versions?  I'm a little confused...

The above error message is a hint that the system doesn't use
the Winsock2 method but the old one. fork_fixup wouldn't be called
otherwise. I didn't read that thread so I just took a look back and
Mark (Hi, Mark!) has a Win95 system. Win95 doesn't have Winsock2
by default.

Mark's system seems to be one of the strange behaving 9x systems
which aren't able to deal correctly with duplicated sockets.

FYI: I'm desperately trying to get some info about that problem
in a Microsoft networking newsgroup. I got a hint that 9x systems
might not treat sockets as normal handles dependent of the installed
underlying drivers but nothing really convincing... rather gossip.

Mark, you should try to download Winsock2 for Win95 as I mentioned
in my related mail "descriptor is a file, not a socket" which I sent
yesterday:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/wuadmintools/s_wunetworkingtools/w95sockets2/default.asp

Hope, that helps,
Corinna